RCA SHOW 2012

Kyungeun Ko

Vehicle Design

Tailor-made

Paper

I grew up drawing and making and was involved in art since I was young. The impression of, and emotion from, various fields of art always inspires me. My major concern is how to express emotion and feeling as well as functionality and efficiency in vehicle design.
In this project, I want to study how we can use craft and craftsmanship in a modern context. I was inspired by the simplicity and possibility of origami in the field of craft. Robo-folding is a technology that folds metal like paper. This technology enables metal products with low energy and minimal facility. Also, it creates beautiful surfaces with the quality of a flat sheet. Robo-folding is an efficient and sustainable method, especially for small-batch production. I propose a new way of producing beautiful luxury vehicles and a new design language as a result.

+44 (0)7554 992 514

kyungeun.ko@network.rca.ac.uk

Supported by: Bentley Motors

CV

Degrees

BA Hons, Industrial Design, Kookmin University, Seoul, North Korea, 2010

Experience

Trainee, Bentley Motors, Crewe, 2011; UI designer, Infovine, Seoul, 2010

Exhibitions

Work-in-progress show, Royal College of Art, London, 2012; Degree show, Kookmin University, Seoul, 2009

Awards

Shortlisted, Worshipful Company of Coachmakers Centenary Bursary, 2012; Honouroble mention, Tata Motors Space Project, 2011; Bronze, Seoul Bench Design Competition, 2010