RCA SHOW 2012

Suk An

Sculpture

Situated Furniture

Mixed media (knives, acrylic mirror plastics, trolley and ribbon)

My artistic practice creates situations that explore the relationship between materials and arrangement in space. I work with the tension created by the ambiguity found in non-ambiguous everyday objects. My work, then, takes our intuitive, objective perception of these objects and challenges it through wry decontextualisation.

This intervention turns the objects or space from known to unknown by presenting them in unnerving frozen moments. I position myself between these two binary oppositions. I aim to contain paradoxes of everyday life in my work and, through replacing and transforming objects, I seek to create disorientated, uncanny and ambiguous situations.

+44 (0)7979 266 286

sukan0608@gmail.com

www.sukan.kr

CV

Degrees

MFA, Art and Technology, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2009; MFA, Sculpture, Hongik University, Seoul, South Korea, 2008; BA, Sculpture, Sungshin Women’s University, Seoul, South Korea, 2006

Exhibitions

The Fifth 4482, OXO Tower, London, 2012; Bittersweet/Thunderspace, Hanmi Gallery, London, 2011; RCA Work-in-progress Show, Royal College of Art, London, 2011