RCA SHOW 2012

Emelica Lidman

Goldsmithing, Silversmithing, Metalwork & Jewellery

Sequence I

Silicone, cotton, silver and copper

Getting dressed, lacing your shoes, putting on make-up, stirring your coffee these are some of the small procedures we carry out in our everyday lives.These short events give us a glimpse of something similar to a process.

When focused in a process we become totally present or absent; we either become focused on the now or we drift away into a meditative state of mind. My work explores this awareness that either evolves or fades away during a process.

My work draws parallels in exploring material processes in the making and wearing of jewellery. When putting on a piece, a procedure starts that then transforms into a still 'snapshot' when fixed on the body. Through my work I want to highlight these habits by transforming them into forms of ritual.

It seems to me that time is the ultimate luxury today, so I believe that the moments we give to these daily rituals actually matter. Could it be that these procedures are what grounds us in the space of today

+44 (0)7586 501328

emelica.lidman@network.rca.ac.uk

www.emelicalidman.com

CV

Degrees

BA, Ädelab/Metal Design, Konstfack, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010; Foundation, Metal, Form and Craft, Nyckelviksskolan, Lidingö, Sweden, 2007

Exhibitions

The State of Things, Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich, Germany, 2012; For What It's Worth, Whitechapel Road, London, 2011; Broochmania, Galerie Rob Koudijs, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2010; Konstfack Spring Exhibition, Konstfack, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010