RCA SHOW 2012

Sophie Wiltshire

Ceramics & Glass

Frederick Wilhelm Lund

White earthenware

25 x 15 x 15 cm

I have been exploring the Natural History Museum as a visual and narrative source. My figurines depict some of the natural historians who helped create the specimen collection in the Darwin Centre. I have captured and preserved them in a moment of discovery.

The giant squid is housed in the same area of the museum, and my wall pieces explore different aspects of the squid: its elusive underwater life, its immobile scientific preservation in death and the potency it loses between our imagining of a mythical monster and its physical reality.

+44 (0)7936 331 623

sophiewiltshire@hotmail.com

sophiewiltshire.blogspot.co.uk

CV

Degrees

BA (Hons), Ceramics, Bath Spa University, 2006

Experience

Part-time teaching assistant, Buckinghamshire New University, High Wycomb, 2012; Teaching assistant, Oak Lodge School, London, 2011; Bindery assistant, The Winchester Bindery, Winchester, 2009–10

Exhibitions

FLUX. Making. Changing. Ceramics & Glass., Wallspace, All Hallows on the Wall, London, 2011; Hyde 900, Winchester Cathedral, 2010; Fiction, Half Truths, and Downright Lies, Winchester Discovery Centre, 2010; Sophie Wiltshire at The View, The View, Winchester, 2010