RCA SHOW 2012

Sheng Tsang Chen

Ceramics & Glass

Identity

Glass

30 x 64 x 25 cm

A question which intrigues me is ‘Do purely functional objects exist in our world?’ Presently, my work is about exploring the relationship between an object’s functionality and its aesthetic.

I often put contrast in my work to represent the identity issues between artist and artisan. I am from Taiwan. The drinking culture differences between Taiwan and the UK interest me, and it is the reason that I always choose drinking vessels to present my ideas.

The fluid nature of melting glass is a major element in my work. I am also fascinated by the way that air bubbles can be entrapped between layers of glass. Both of these characteristics rely on the liquid nature of glass.

+44 (0)7827 684 827

sheng-tsang.chen@network.rca.ac.uk

www.stan-glass.com

CV

Degrees

BA (Hons), Communication Art, Chaoyang University Of Technology, Taichung City, Taiwan, 2004

Experience

Assistant, Peter Layton London Glassblowing, London, 2010 to present; Assistant, Simon Moore Studio, London, 2010 to present; Assistant, History of Glass Museum, Taiwan, 2007

Exhibitions

Heavenly Sent, London Glass Blowing, London, 2012; Zwieseler Kolbl, Zwieseler Kölbl, Germany, 2011; Home, Designers Guild, London, 2011