RCA SHOW 2012

Mette Kjaergaard Praest

CCA - College-based

Amalia Pica, Final de Fiesta, 2005

Tissue paper and thread, Dimensions variable

In parallel with my studies, I have been active on independent projects including Notes for an Exhibition (2011) at Crate Studio and Project Space with artist Desmond Church, exploring notions of authorship, object/research dynamics and the outsourcing of artistic production, drawing on alternative exhibition histories, and Lighting Rig: Intervention by Sam Ely & Lynn Harris, Department 21, 2011. Previous to my studies at the RCA I opened and ran the collaborative art space Stald Gallery in Copenhagen.

My current research focuses on strategies and practices that explore or dislocate social and political systems in societies, extending between contemporary art and filmmaking, as well as within exhibition-making. Recently this has led to an interest in artists that work in the borderland between reality and spirituality, which I hope to continue to explore as a curator based in London.

mette.kjaergaard@network.rca.ac.uk

Courtesy the artist, Galerie Diana Stigter, Amsterdam, and Herald St, London, Photography by David Pearson

CV

Degrees

BA, Art History and Film and Media Studies, Aarhus University, Denmark

Exhibitions

Ritual Without Myth, Royal College of Art, 2012; Notes for an Exhibition: Desmond Church Solo Show, Crate Studio and Project Space, Margate, 2011; Lighting Rig: Intervention by Sam Ely & Lynn Harris, Department 21, London, 2011; Lying on Rocks, Sitting in Windows, Standing on Chairs, Royal College of Art, 2011