RCA SHOW 2012

Ng'endo Mukii

Animation

Yellow Fever

Hand-drawn animation, live action and pixellation

I am interested in the concept of skin and race, and what they imply: in the ideas and theories sown into our flesh that change with the arc of time. I believe skin and the body are often distorted into a topographical division between reality and illusion. The idea of beauty has become globalised, creating homogenous aspirations and distorting peoples self-image across the planet. In my film, I focus on African womens self-image, through memories and interviews, using mixed media to describe this almost schizophrenic self-visualisation that I and many others have grown up with.

+44 (0)7761 388 811

nmukii@gmail.com

thenge.com

vimeo.com/ngendo

Supported by: Blink Animation Prize 2012, RCA Overseas Student Bursary 2011/12

CV

Degrees

BFA, Film Animation and Video, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, USA, 2006; Foundation Art and Design, Kent Institute of Art & Design, 2002

Experience

Animation production manager and online editor, The Media Company, Nairobi, Kenya, 2008–10; Editor, Endemol Tusker Project Fame II, Nairobi, Kenya, 2008; Art director and animator, Scanad, Nairobi, Kenya, 2008; Apple creative, Apple Computers, Providence, USA, 2006–7

Exhibitions

To Do: Performance Night at the RCA, Royal College of Art, 2011; Pecha Kucha Night, Ramoma Gallery, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009

Awards

Winner, Blink Animation Prize, Blink Productions London, 2012; Winner, Overseas Student Bursary, Royal College of Art, 2011/12